Where Innovation and Manufacturing meet.
Peoria has long been known for its manufacturing prowess. From its early days as the “Whiskey Capital of the World”, to its vital role in the mass production of penicillin during WWII, to the growth of Caterpillar as the world-leader in earth movers, Greater Peoria continues evolving, but remains true to its spirit: We are makers.
The Next Innovation: Biotechnology
Supported by our manufacturing ecosystem and community of supportive resources, Greater Peoria is strongly positioned to become a biomedical manufacturing hub.
Jake Becraft of Strand Therapeutics, the Greater Peoria Economic Development Council and stakeholders in the Peoria area are working to realize the Peoria Bio-Made initiative and how it is positioning Peoria, IL to be the next BioMedical Manufacturing hub of the United States.
As stated in Jake’s Op Ed, shared here, Peoria’s legacy as the country’s original biomedical manufacturing location, its healthcare cluster, extraordinarily low utility rates and operational costs make GP an ideal US location for BioMedical Manufacturing.
• Access both coasts in the same amount of shipping time
• 2.5 hours to both Chicago and St. Louis
• Barge, rail, air and truck shipping available year round
• The only downstate Customs Agent in IL
• Collaborative and committed stakeholders that work to ensure a project’s success
Operational Cost Savings
• Opportunity Zones
• TIFF Districts
• Enterprise Zones
• Foreign Trade Zone
• Some of the lowest Energy Rates in the country